Hello again MASCLab,
We had an excellent and exciting first meeting with plenty of new and old faces alike–we shared what brought us all to MASCLab from across many disciplines.
(Thanks for tweeting Ahram!):
Some themes included:
– media as scholarship (ie. broadening ideas of what is valued as “scholarship”)
– digital/multimodal storytelling and forms of expression
– media and civic engagement/participation
– media/technology in the classroom (relationship to teaching/learning, possibilities for social action, equitable access, media literacy, stem literacy)
– influence of popular media (representations, effect on self perception, etc.)
– so much more!!!
We then collaborated on making some (extremely) quick pieces of media in groups that attempted to capture some of what we hoped for this year at MASCLab. A few are shared here:
An image of MASCLab and our expanding communities:
A proposed multiplatform conversation (already begun, w/ hastag):
A meme representing some combined interests:
And an instagram (not shown due to technical difficulties) collaging ideas about representation and self presentation in the digital age.
Join us for our next meeting, which will be Wednesday, September 23 from 12 – 1:30. If some people have to head to class at 1, don’t worry, join us for the first hour! (Note the time/day change).
Professor Ioana Literat, newly in the Communication Media Learning Technologies and Design program here at TC will be sharing her amazing crowd-sourced children’s book project, Hashtag the Snail with us.
We will also be discussing more about what we mean by “media” and “social change”.
Also, we highly encourage people to bring in artifacts that you are producing or that are inspiring you that you think it would be good to share with the group. If you have a chance, email us ahead of time so we make sure to have sharing time in the meeting.
See you soon!